Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Monster Monitor


Last night, I finally popped and ordered a 24" monitor. It's the Dell 2408FP, a monitor that has received excellent reviews for the past several editions. I'm wondering how the pictured 1924 Overland will look on that monitor.

Even though I caught it on sale (and with free shipping), it was a lot of money to put in a peripheral, when I could have bought a very good lens for a few bucks more. Still, my 19" Viewsonic G90fb CRT monitor is making me tired, though it seems likely to go on forever. I don't have enough room to work on self-publishing when I need good readability for more than a single page at a time. The resolution is shy of what I'd like for photo editing, too. The Dell monster will cure both of those problems.

Oh. Sorry. Today, those are "challenges," not problems. My foot. They're problems.

I expect to be covering a motorcycle road race next month, shortly after which the monitor will get its greatest workout, at least for the moment. I may be attending some other horse races before then, which could be as challenging for my skills (not a problem unless I don't meet the challenge). I'm also aiming at some air shows, though I'm not at all sure my lenses are long enough to do the job for those.

What does any of this have to do with photographing cars? Any skills developed on other targets tend to transfer well to automobiles, whether still or action skills. In other words, the best thing you can do for your automobile photography skills is get out and shoot, shoot a lot and shoot varied subjects, whether auto related or not. Remember to vary your angles and composition, and watch out for reflections when you're close to the object being photographed. Shoot raindrops rolling down a window, shoot dew caught in a spider web, shoot rusty barn door hinges, shoot cows horns, on and off the cow, and on.

Probably of greatest importance, though, is one recommendation: have fun doing it.

No comments: